KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype? Empty Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am
Virtual Reality - Is it worth or the hype?

Please let us know your thoughts on what you think of the VR technology and if it is really worth all the hype that is generated around the design software houses that promote it?

I am a bit anti VR from the point of view I have not seen any demos that show the quality I would expect to see regarding the accuracy of reflections and colours.
Having customers put on the silly looking headsets and making sure they have enough space to walk around is also something that is putting me off the tech.

I just think it's a bit of a gimmick and a set of quality images shown on a large screen is more professional to impress customers.

Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype? 16noah_sizedjpg

Last edited by Darrel on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype? Empty Re: Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Not seen or tried any of it myself yet. I assume there will be something on show @ KBB so will take a look then.

If it can help a customer get an idea of scale and space, more than an on screen image, then that must be good? But i cant see it ever being a replacement for design images at all - just as an aid to them.

Joe
Joe
http://www.cuillinridgedesign.co.uk

Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype? Empty Re: Virtual Reality - Is it worth all the hype?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:41 pm
Not a fan from what i have seen, putting a headset on won't make a client buy a kitchen any quicker than good quality renders. Clients also want to touch an feel the products in a showroom. Wasted money when the 3d software could and should be improved. Just my opinion. Evil or Very Mad
benwaterman

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm
I've used Virtual Worlds VR which uses an Oculus Rift.
In my opinion, VR does not meet the same image quality that Articad can accomplish yet. but being able to walk around, open cupboards, turn on the tap is a fun experience for customers.
A great laugh if a partner is poking the other half who has the headset on! These are experiences which can build relationships between designers and clients and is currently a USP for small businesses. Other competitors such as Howdens and B&Q already send out panoramic links to there clients, just like Articad's panoramic service, and soon they will most likely go the VR route.
VR and AR are a fast-growing industry especially in KBB industry but finding a program which ticks all the boxes will be hard to find.
But yes, currently this takes up a lot of resources such as time, space and a beefy graphics card.
It would be interesting to see what happens in another 5 years time.

Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm
Thanks guys for your input....
I think all the sheds will/have VR as only today I noticed IKEA has it and Wren are really pushing it at the moment in the Telly ads.

I guess if you have the room, hardware then it's another string to your bow but I do not think it will be a USP very long with the big boys using the tech...

Wren's VR Promo Video:

Last edited by Darrel on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Another thing that springs to mind after watching the Wren Video is does it actually add extra workload to the designer/salesperson?

Certain customers would start asking can I see it in this colour and that finish, change the handles, can you change the view out the window. To me it could really be tiring with certain customers who cannot make a decision and some that just want a bit of fun and are just time wasters?

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

benwaterman

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm
With virtual worlds it's very easy to set up the VR.
4 clicks!
I don't use Virtual worlds but my colleagues do and they use my PC for its processing power to run VR. I stick with Articad because of the rendering capabilities.

Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:15 am
Just had a play with Wren's VR tech...

Quite Realistic of how the kitchen could look apparently lol!

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum