KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mingerz
Mingerz

Job from today Empty Job from today

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm
Just go's to show, images aren't everything. "Would like to think about it" Just under 2k!.....Glass table top needs some work but not sure where to go on that.
Attachments
Job from today Attachment
Lounge.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(241 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Job from today Empty Re: Job from today

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:04 am
dreamers and time wasters.

I think most people struggle to estimate the costs of a lot of fitted furniture. Recently I have priced a set of wardrobes for my plasterer and even at trade was double what he thought it would be

No matter how good your render, or your sales pitch they might never have been wanting or able to go for it.

There is an old couple in the flats above my showroom who get people round all the time to measure for carpets, blinds, shutters  etc etc I think they just the company and the chat. I've given up after quote for a Quooker, and then a new oven and they didn't go for either
Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am
Well, you put the effort in... yeah sometimes it's wasted time and sometimes it pays off eh...
andy5405
andy5405

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 am
I try to and talk about realistic budgets nowadays within the 1st half an hour of meeting someone. I keep it broad so it will generally be in the following ranges: 10-15k, 15-20, 20-25, 25-30 & 30k+. I always ask them first what they expect the kitchen to cost. Some people are realistic, some have no idea and some will deliberately hit me with a low figure. I apologise to the ones that hit me with a low figure and explain that I won't be able to carry on with their design.

I always explain that I will put a lot of effort into a design and plan and that the 1st draft of a design and quote amounts to a days work for me with the initial survey, office time and follow up visit. I emphasise that it's a free design service that I offer but it is only fair for both parties to have a rough idea of cost before I start my design.

All of us on here have skills that are comparable to an architect in many ways and put a lot of effort into a design. An architect would in no way offer their services for free and ideally neither should we. However we all know the reality is different so for me I'm only prepared to design if there is a realistic chance of someone being able to afford it.

The downside is that I need enough enquiries to be able to work this way. However I woud rather spend a day on marketing or improving my website in some way than waste a day on an unwinnable job. A day spent on marketing is a gift that keeps on giving.
Jaynehiddleston
Jaynehiddleston
http://www.hiddlestonjoiners.co.uk

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 am
lovely render Mingers, and obviously alot of effort has went into it. I've experienced this too often myself.

Andy, I really need to put what you are saying into practice more often, great advice and really well delivered to the client, thanks for sharing.
Mingerz
Mingerz

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:46 pm
Thank you Jane. On the upside he's now decided to go ahead albeit at 1.7k.

Wise words Andy. My normal response when a customer asks what will it cost? is "You know that figure you have in your head......add a third!" It's surprising how accurate that is. It's funny when you pitch the price and you see the look on their face. It's always a delicate balance, as what they think it will cost is not necessarily related to what they can afford and will be prepared to pay providing it's justified. Personally, I hate being first quote but that's the outfit I work fors, preferred stance....lunacy!
Kitchen Pete
Kitchen Pete

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 pm
I agree that realistic budgets are best covered asap. 

This is taken from the Nationwide Building Society's website
"The kitchen is the heart of a home, so it stands to reason that this is the room most buyers focus on.
It's estimated that a new kitchen will improve the value of your property by around 6%."

In pure investment terms, ignoring the improved living, ergonomics, comfort and the nice warm fuzzy feeling you get everytime you go in the kitchen it's not unreasonable to expect to pay just 5% and get a return. 

So as a rule of thumb i use £5k/£100,000 so a £400k house = £20k kitchen budget. Any building work is extra.
This should cover the furniture, mid-range appliances and laminate or other worktop that doesn't require templating.

Customers with more to spend will go for the benefits of steam/pyro ovens, ceramic tops, extractor hobs etc and they might have premium brands in mind which always sends the price further North.

We stopped giving plans away around a year ago. We charge a nominal fee for the drawings which is deducted from the invoice if the customer goes ahead. They get the first quote with pictures and a panoramic tour for free.
I'll requote for small changes but major ones need some commitment otherwise they go to the bottom of the in tray.
We've found that 90% of customers who pay the fee go through to completion.
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:31 pm
Kitchen Pete wrote:
So as a rule of thumb i use £5k/£100,000 so a £400k house = £20k kitchen budget.

Currently working on a £3.6mil house

I'm looking forward to what we can do for their £180k budget  Laughing

Though I think London screws most 'rule of thumb' theories
Kitchen Pete
Kitchen Pete

Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Nice Very Happy £180k should cover it! I don't suppose they're going to Nationwide to fund it though  Wink
Mingerz
Mingerz

Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:12 pm
He didn't get his money by giving it away....He's going to Howdens..... lol!
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:57 pm
She, seems happy to spend the $$$. Though the budget is £60k not the 5% £180k

Still, enough in her budget for a Gold Quooker Fusion, with the new sparkling water cube at a total £2,600  Shocked
Mingerz
Mingerz

Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:10 pm
mister_mitch wrote:She, seems happy to spend the $$$. Though the budget is £60k not the 5% £180k

Still, enough in her budget for a Gold Quooker Fusion, with the new sparkling water cube at a total £2,600  Shocked

What no soap dispenser!.....It's only £450.00.....Cheap Charlies!
Jaynehiddleston
Jaynehiddleston
http://www.hiddlestonjoiners.co.uk

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:44 am
mister_mitch wrote:She, seems happy to spend the $$$. Though the budget is £60k not the 5% £180k

nice....i've an enquiry for an antique brass Quooker just now. I presume Yardley's will plate this for you?
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm
Quooker now do Gold and Black off the shelf
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum