KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
chrispod
chrispod
http://www.broadoak-kitchens.com

Need for Speed Empty Need for Speed

Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 am
I decided to throw a little money at out Workstations to speed things up a little. I bought 2 Xeon E5-2687 for one machine and moved the redundant core to the other machine so they both now have dual processors and 32 / 24 cores respectfully. This has reduced render times by 70% which is great. 
I also increased RAM in both machines way over what we will ever need. 64GB / 32GB. 
While being on a geek-out i noticed that Articad mainly uses the processor cores for HD images/Panoramas. 
When using VR (which we use most to check finer details and present to customers) it looks like the Graphics card is utilised. The Quadro 4000 that was in used 80% of its capacity. After reading up I bought a 1070 Ti which takes top spot in the bang for buck category. 
However it looks like the rendering time before VR image shows up is the same and the jumpy movement is the same (looks like it moves 50mm at a time if you move left/right/forward/backward) 
In reality the smoothness is probably 3 frames per second and the 1070 Ti is capable of 350 fps.
Is there any way of tweaking Articad to take advantage of this? (Daz I'm looking at you  Very Happy)
Must get some work done now, this has taken up far too much time. Smile
Mingerz
Mingerz

Need for Speed Empty Re: Need for Speed

Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 pm
chrispod wrote:I decided to throw a little money at out Workstations to speed things up a little. I bought 2 Xeon E5-2687 for one machine and moved the redundant core to the other machine so they both now have dual processors and 32 / 24 cores respectfully. This has reduced render times by 70% which is great. 
I also increased RAM in both machines way over what we will ever need. 64GB / 32GB. 
While being on a geek-out i noticed that Articad mainly uses the processor cores for HD images/Panoramas. 
When using VR (which we use most to check finer details and present to customers) it looks like the Graphics card is utilised. The Quadro 4000 that was in used 80% of its capacity. After reading up I bought a 1070 Ti which takes top spot in the bang for buck category. 
However it looks like the rendering time before VR image shows up is the same and the jumpy movement is the same (looks like it moves 50mm at a time if you move left/right/forward/backward) 
In reality the smoothness is probably 3 frames per second and the 1070 Ti is capable of 350 fps.
Is there any way of tweaking Articad to take advantage of this? (Daz I'm looking at you  Very Happy)
Must get some work done now, this has taken up far too much time. Smile
Go into the config folder and search for softwareVR. Turn the four options with this in the title to =No.....see how she goes.
chrispod
chrispod

Wed May 01, 2019 1:32 pm
Hi Mingerz, I tried that but still the same. 
Have worked out that each move is equal to 45mm. Have had a quick look through the config docs but cant see anything that relates to it. Would be nice to set it to 1mm.
Cheers Chris
Mingerz
Mingerz

Wed May 01, 2019 2:09 pm
Hmmm ....I know that works with the "Orbit room" function in VR mode. Are you using some new fangled panoramic walk through feature? I notice in VR controls movements are set to =10 and there is also this SensitivityRelatedToWindowSize=yes ......I don't have the panoramic view function so probably unhelpfull guesswork on my part. I'm sure Daz will know.
chrispod
chrispod

Wed May 01, 2019 2:50 pm
No new fangled features here  Laughing
Its the VR where you can walk around the room. 
Orbiting is very smooth as is when you pivot around in VR. Its just the cursor movement which jumps 45mm. Its enough to give you a migraine.

ps, i did change those values but still the same jump.

HeadingSensitivity=1
PitchSensitivity=1
ForwardSensitivity=1
SidewaysSensitivity=1
VerticalSensitivity=1

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

chrispod
chrispod

Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 pm
Hi Minch,
I didn't. Have ended up upgrading to V21 and I'm waiting for a support phone call  Rolling Eyes so will ask them then. 
Keep getting an error with "default VRL cant be found"
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum