KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

This week. Empty This week.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I'm working on these two, being designed and priced ready to present at the end of the week. So still work in progress right now, but the general concepts are getting there...

This week. 110

This week. Design10

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

mister_mitch
mister_mitch

This week. Empty Re: This week.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm
I used the edit feature to split the unit up if I remember correctly
I think it started as a three drawer set and then edit/split from there to get what you see above.

started that one Sunday, so could be remembering wrong. but I cant use sketch-up etc so was done in Articad somehow lol

Jaynehiddleston
Jaynehiddleston
http://www.hiddlestonjoiners.co.uk

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 pm
Looks great. What range is this? I like the glass fronted cabinets

Yes i've found that software function really beneficial too so glad it was added Nathan! How many hours have you put into these designs so far? I'm spending far too long on this one i'm currently working on but i really want to win it...... cyclops will post images soon.

mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
This will be made for us by Aisling - http://aislingfurniture.com/ (the sister company to Uform) they make the doors, drawer boxes and any other painted and timber components. This then goes through to our normal cabinet supplier, who frame everything up and get it ready to go to site.

I allocate an afternoon to an initial design to present to a customer.

Mornings are project management, orders and business stuff. then lunch. Afternoons are for the more creative stuff.

Renders are great, but its the samples, showroom and mainly the designers passion with sales skill that close the deals.

I'll then spend some time on the tweeks and revisions for V2, V3 etc if they show me signs of commitment. - that could be a deposit or just a verbal commitment.

Lukeh1101
Lukeh1101

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 pm
Thats a great way of splitting your day. I wish I could split the day like that but we have a workshop whose demands seem to be almost as much as the customers! ha

My eyes are immediately drawn to the cream shelf on the first image though. Is this what the customer has asked for or already in situ?
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 pm
its already in place and staying Luke. I don't like it either.

obviously not every day runs exactly like that. Some days are all project management and site visits. Other times a design might not get done and ill work into the evening or over a few days.

Its more that I find I design better/quicker if I am in that frame of mind and focus on one type of work. Rather than flipping back and forth from logical thinking to creative thoughts.

Michael W
http://www.kitchenflairtrade.com/

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:03 am
Have you used Aisling before? And if so, did it all go OK?

We've used it a couple of times and had issues both times, once with the door sets being out of alignment and the second time it turned up in 3 slightly different shades of grey...

I've got another one lined up for early next year, but we are planning to get everything primed and then paint in situ.
Lukeh1101
Lukeh1101

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 am
Weve used them for a couple of jobs when our factory hasn't had the time and everything was fine. Very good quality. Not the cheapest but they can offer complete tailored solutions and you can have confidence it will arrive as requested, not always the case for bespoke items from other companies!

Lukeh1101
Lukeh1101

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am
Jaynehiddleston wrote:Looks great. What range is this? I like the glass fronted cabinets

Yes i've found that software function really beneficial too so glad it was added Nathan! How many hours have you put into these designs so far? I'm spending far too long on this one i'm currently working on but i really want to win it...... cyclops will post images soon.

Hoping you don't release your drawings then Jayne?! Unless they are sneaky clever and know about KBB CAD! Ha Shocked
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 pm
Meepster wrote:Have you used Aisling before? And if so, did it all go OK?

I've used them for a couple of years through the previous showrooms and now my own showroom this year. There has been issues on jobs before, but Aisling are always getting better. - systems, processes, equipment and build quality.

We did one primed this year and then hand painted on site. That went well.

Lukeh1101 wrote:Weve used them for a couple of jobs when our factory hasn't had the time and everything was fine. Very good quality. Not the cheapest but they can offer complete tailored solutions and you can have confidence it will arrive as requested, not always the case for bespoke items from other companies!

I have also found them to be the cheapest for what they can offer. Nobody else seems to want to go into the detail they can offer on the doors/frame and accessorizes.

Minch wrote:Interesting.  Might have to look in to them too.
It can take a bit of getting your head around and they are not perfect. But then what supplier is.

The main issues we were coming across was with our carcass manufacturer not understanding what is needed to match the frames etc. So once its all got to us and we start framing it in the warehouse, we ended up moving runners up and down. Get the different radius right was also an issue for the cab company.
We are now trying a new cab supplier, getting the Aisling product sent to them, they then build the units, frame it up and send it on to us. It costs a little more, but it's meant on the last couple of jobs there have been no mis-match errors on doors and units.

That being said I have a site visit in the morning as the client isn't happy with the factory paint finish. Will See what happens tomorrow, as i've not seen any of it yet.

mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:24 pm
Never heard of them, but a quick google tells me they are PWS and Burbidge?

in which case the Aisling product is far more flexible

or do they offer something else as well?

mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:42 pm
ok. Well i'll try a couple with this new local lot and see how they go.
if not maybe ill give them a call.
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 am
mister_mitch wrote:
That being said I have a site visit in the morning as the client isn't happy with the factory paint finish. Will See what happens tomorrow, as i've not seen any of it yet.

And the paint finish on the plain end panels is shocking. You can see the passes where they sprayed the panel.
now to raise it with them - last time there was an issue they offered to remake the item or get them painted locally and they discount my next kitchen order. so fair enough.

I'll get these two panels re-painted locally now due to time scale etc. Rolling Eyes
Michael W

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 am
mister_mitch wrote:
mister_mitch wrote:

And the paint finish on the plain end panels is shocking. You can see the passes where they sprayed the panel.
now to raise it with them - last time there was an issue they offered to remake the item or get them painted locally and they discount my next kitchen order. so fair enough.

I'll get these two panels re-painted locally now due to time scale etc. Rolling Eyes

That's why we're going for primed next time, their painted service is awful.

Aisling do a lot of the bespoke painting for Uform too, which explains why we keep having problems with them too. The last job we had was delayed because the made to order items were a different colour than the ones off the shelf...
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm
have you been over to visit them?

the two paint facilities are separate.

its the off the shelf stuff goes through a paint line at Uform.
The bespoke / made to measure items go through the booth(s) where they are produced at Andoras/Aisling.
I could see how they would turn up different colours

I've had 4 bespoke height dresser doors fitted on a site this week, so all made and painted together and the finish inst consistent. all the same colour but a couple have clear grain others look smooth in places or in total. So a production/prep issue on that one I would assume.
Michael W

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:16 pm
Yeah, I went to Uform last year - had a good look round the Aisling showroom and had the factory/warehouse tour too.

I knew they were painted at different places, but you'd still expect them to be able to paint items the same colour. We are at a stage now where we get nervous any time we're waiting for PTO items to turn up.
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:58 am
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
As an update. Now both sold.
The blue in-frame is now dark grey, Bianco Carrara tops and brass details. and no island!
The oak kitchen is now all oak, no painted elements - looks better for it.
Installing in Feb/March

Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 am
mister_mitch wrote:As an update. Now both sold.
The blue in-frame is now dark grey, Bianco Carrara tops and brass details. and no island!
The oak kitchen is now all oak, no painted elements - looks better for it.
Installing in Feb/March

Good to hear....!

Your round to buy everyone on here a InstruMMent 01 pen then santa
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum