KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
lisacabinets
lisacabinets

Wardrobe CAD program reccomendation Empty Wardrobe CAD program reccomendation

Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:40 pm
Hi!
My name is Lisa and I am starting a new wardrobe specific cabinetry business in Melbourne Australia : ) 

I have seen some of your beautiful renders, and I was wondering what would be your recommendations for a CAD program that is easy to use for wardrobes specifically?

Wardrobes often have funny shapes, angled shoe shelves, very specific accessories and I haven't been impressed so far with the CAD programs I've seen. I've only used kitchendraw before which is so easy and quick to use but it looks like a cartoon rather than a 3D and the cabinets aren't customisable.

I'm looking for a program where I can build a library of cabinets that I use regularly and have them priced up so I just need to drag and drop them in place and it will add up the cost for me. But the main thing is stunning renders that will wow my customers!

Has anyone here used KD MAX v10? The renders look good, you can do 360 panorama, but it looks very clunky to use.
I have a demo with articad (bedcad as im just doing wardrobes) on friday, but it sounds like there renders are fiddly? 

Anywho, it is nice to meet you and thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Darrel likes this post

Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Wardrobe CAD program reccomendation Empty Re: Wardrobe CAD program reccomendation

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:12 pm
Hello Lisa and welcome to the forum

I have been using TurboCAD since the mid-1990s and can recommend it for it's versatility. With this being a generic CAD package you are not constrained by the limitations some programs have for the KBB industry.
It has a full library system to customise to your own needs.
Some of my work/renders here - TurboCAD Render Gallery (forumotion.com)

lisacabinets likes this post

lisacabinets
lisacabinets

Wardrobe CAD program reccomendation Empty Re: Wardrobe CAD program reccomendation

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:20 pm
Thank you for the reply!
Does turbo cad come with a library of cabinets that you work from? Or do you build everything from scratch?
Would you say you could do a simple hinged wardrobe design in 15minutes?
Is this also a program you just buy once or is it a subscription Smile

Darrel likes this post

Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:37 pm
It comes with some basic ones but I built my own from scratch and just keep adding to it.
And yes, once you get to know the software you can design a wardrobe in 15mins and less.

The program is available as a buy once or subscription. Info here > TurboCAD Windows - TurboCAD via IMSI Design
lisacabinets
lisacabinets

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:02 pm
Wow it is so affordable! Archicad/ironcad was saying it would be around $9000 for what I needed, articad said $900 australian to set up the program and then $295 a month to use it. 3DMAX V10 was $3500 one time payment. It sounds like this program with possibly the best renders is actually the cheapest. Thank you so much for telling me about it!

Did I read correctly that you can actually take your CAD design to a CNC machine as well :O that is so impressive for an affordable software like this!

Do you know if they have a 360 panorama option? Or if theres a plugin you can buy to turn the design into a 360 experience for your customer?

Thank you Smile
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:29 pm
No 360 option as yet. Not something I have ever had a customer ask for. I think it's a bit of a gimmick. I never liked designing with a customer in the showroom as for me I can work and come up with a better design without the distraction of being interrupted. The customer would not wait for the quality renders either.

I always think first impressions are key and if they are wowed and you have produced what they have asked for then they rarely start wanting to change things.
Depending on your CAD experience like with any software can take some time to get things how you want them. Try it out as they have a trial. You would also need the REDsdk render plugin as the Lightworks/visualise render options cannot produce as good a quality image.
It has a CADCAM plugin as well.
First, try it out to see if you like modelling with it.
Sponsored content