KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
andy5405
andy5405

Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD? Empty Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD?

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:19 pm
Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD work or rather is there a tangible benefit to spending out on something decent?

A quick google seems to point to the Logitech MX Master 2S but it is £70, so maybe not until I've earnt some money. A good mouse mat for £6 might be more suited to my current finances.

What does everyone use?
Michael W
http://www.kitchenflairtrade.com/

Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD? Empty Re: Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD?

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm
I use the Logitech Performance MX mouse, been using it every day for 4 years without a mouse mat and it never lets me down. I find I get much better control with this than any other optical mouse I've tried and it sits nicely in my hand.

Cost around £80 brand new and has been worth every penny. I think if it is something you use so much it's worth paying that little bit more to get something that you're happy with!
Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD? Empty Re: Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD?

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:28 pm
I use a LG Scanner Mouse with the mat it comes with.... I have bought a few of these as the cable is quite thick and after a while of coiling it up the wires break. I now have one at home and at work to avoid this happening again...
I dont use the scanner bit that much but it's more to do with the shape of it as I have got so used to the way it feels I am avoiding trying something else...

Do I need a decent mouse and mat for CAD? LG-Smart-Scan-LS100-Hero
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 pm
I use a £10 Microsoft mouse from Currys

never thought about buying anything better.   Laughing
Snappy
Snappy

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 am
I'll one up you mitch, I use a second hand £2 8 year old mouse still going strong.

For CAD systems like Articad AK VR compisoft etc you don't need anything special just left right and a middle/scroll button.
andy5405
andy5405

Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:11 pm
So it's a 50:50 split. I was hoping for more answers supporting the idea that my life will be complete with a new expsensive gadget. My question to the users of the £2 and £10 mice is this: What might you be missing by not investing in a £70 all singing all dancing Logitech mouse? Or put another way, how do you know you don't like fillet steak if you've never tried it?
Snappy
Snappy

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 pm
Im sure I'd love it and it would help me if i programmed one for 3D modelling, so I'd say go for it! My next PC build will be still using my cheap mouse im sure though lol
Mingerz
Mingerz

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 pm
I use an MX518 logitech gaming mouse with 7 buttons. Very good for gaming where twitch response times are important but in CAD not so much. For general use, I wouldn't be without it, as all the buttons are programmable for different functions. The two side buttons are invaluable when surfing the net for backward and forward functions....see an interesting tit bit on a page just as you close it, press the back button. High end mice are more precise as they can be configured for wide movement on screen for small movement of wrist or the other way round which may be more helpful with post editing work.
andy5405
andy5405

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 am
Snappy wrote:I'll one up you mitch, I use a second hand £2 8 year old mouse still going strong.

For CAD systems like Articad AK VR compisoft etc you don't need anything special just left right and a middle/scroll button.

This is the best reply for me. I've already stretched myself financially by buying a new PC and Autokitchen and really can't afford to spend any more until I win some more work.

We could perhaps go down the route of the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch and see who gets the best results with the least expensive overall hardware specification.

One of my best mates is envious of my Festool collection and calls me "All the gear no idea". I have to tell him to not say it in front of customers! My current PC spec makes me feel the same way amongst all you gurus.

mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 pm
Mingerz wrote:see an interesting tit on a page just as you close it, press the back button. 

Shocked  Laughing

tongue
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum