KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Mingerz
Mingerz

Why spend on a decent PC? Empty Re: Why spend on a decent PC?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:37 pm
AMD's Threadripper processor line also looks like great bang for buck if you are on a budget. 16 cores for under a grand can't be bad...you do have to buy the rest of the computer though... lol!

Joe
Joe
http://www.cuillinridgedesign.co.uk

Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:17 pm
Agreed, showrooms should be investing in the best hardware. However as a one man band and saving for a deposit on new flat i had to go down the mid - budget route for the time being. It also had to be mobile so laptop it was
It really depends on how many renders you need to do per day or are clients wanting to see something done straight away! My line of business i may only get between 10 - 15 designs a month so an hour and half for each render at 2560 x 1650 render to file and on the Daz highest settings is ok for me. I can always be working on the next design while it renders.

I got my Lenovo for £850 at the time from John Lewis i think which at the time was £100 cheaper than PC world and the rest.
Would def get any computer now with SSD hard drive. So much quicker but make sure its got lots of storage as i have had to install all other programs on my d: drive as windows 10 and my articad folder is massive with all high res images, and sketchup models.

Looking at getting vray for one of my other cad programs so i will be looking at a Xeon hopefully soon! Basketball

Dave Gannon

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 am
Definitely agree, as a new start up business i bought a Dell laptop Core I7 3Ghz, 16 GB of RAM, and NVIDIA 2GB video card this time last year. This was great at the time because i was in the building stage of a new showroom which opened in March of this year.

When i opened and started to get busier i realized the speed of my renders was slowing me down and started to look around at Xeon machines as they seemed to be the way to go. I bought a refurbished HP Z620 with Dual Xeon E5 - 2650 2.6GHZ, 96GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K400 3GB GDDR5, SSD Hard Drives FOR £1,200 and i also bought 2 x 24" LG monitors.

I find this a huge improvement now in render speed and having two screens is brilliant been able to do 2 drawings side by side as well as running multiple applications simultaneously.

I have a long way to go in terms of the quality of my renders but they have improved a lot from the advise of all the people on this forum.
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 am
I have this laptop for Articad work:
DELL Inspiron 15 7000 i7-7700HQ , 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD for windows and articad on it.
http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptop-and-2-in-1-pcs/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7567-laptop
(just seen the black Friday deal for it online are more than I paid back in February for it lol )

When I set it to do a render I can still email and do other things etc. I find it just slows the render time a bit, but the machine still functions fine for the tasks I'm doing. Though I've not tried rendering one and then run Articad again to design the next.

Last edited by mister_mitch on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Joe
Joe
http://www.cuillinridgedesign.co.uk

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:05 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Nathan, i don't really have any slow down when rendering, maybe add a few min on to the render time but it's hard to check. Been quite happy with performance, could do with more ram which i will do after xmas. Before this i was using a macbook pro to run articad in bootcamp. Now that did struggle a bit to run other things in background!
Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:46 am
It is hard for many companies to see the justification in spending a good proportion of there budget on hardware and even software. Firstly they are not seeing the bigger picture, if the designer is using a quality machine and sees his boss being proactive in getting the best in what is out there then this will only pay dividends.

The designers will stay with him/her, they will feel more valued and this will be reflected in the quality of his/her designs and can only lead to more sales.

Really it is Win, Win but many companies have outdated systems, old OS's, poor screens and poor software with staff clock watching who cannot wait for there workday to end..
This environment damages creativity and a designers progress in the KBB Sector...

You can have the best showroom in the land but a customer who is looking to purchase a kitchen, bedroom or bathroom wants to see how there kitchen will actually look before spending there thousands.

Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 am
Minch wrote:Spot on Daz . . . where is your Avatar!!! ;-)

Working on it.... Getting my hair and nails done today.... makeup later Laughing

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum