KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dgauden
dgauden

Render Advice Empty Render Advice

Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 am
Hi Guys, 

this is my first post on here so take it easy on me....Very Happy 

I would just like a bit of advice on how i could improve the overall look of these images. 

They have only been rendered on High x2 setting due to my laptop not being amazing. I would attach the .kit file but its 17mb  Neutral 

The door is going to be matt door with copper hafele profiles & a dekton worktop.

I'll look forward to seeing what you guys propose.

Thanks 
DannyRender Advice Artica12
Render Advice Artica11
Render Advice Artica10
Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Render Advice Empty Re: Render Advice

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 am
Hi Danny

Welcome to the forum...

Firstly which version of ArtiCAD are you using V20 Build 53?

You could dropbox your plan... I will PM you the login details for the KBB CAD one...

One thing I notice is it seems you are blocking the windows and openings so you are not getting enough highlight reflections in your materials...
dgauden
dgauden

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:20 am
Hi Darrel

I am currently on V20 B53. not installing V21 yet as i don't want to use it just yet if there is too many bugs? do you think it's ok to download?

Ok that would be great thanks, i will upload the file onto dropbox for you to pick apart Very Happy 

Thanks
Danny
Dave Gannon

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 pm
Welcome Danny, nice render.
Joe
Joe
http://www.cuillinridgedesign.co.uk

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:15 pm
Welcome Danny, nice renders! If you want to play around with v21 i would advise to install side by side with v20 until they have sorted the remaining bugs! Don't overwrite v20 just yet!!
mister_mitch
mister_mitch

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 pm
correct me if im wrong - On the oven housing you wouldn't have the horizontal rails as well as the vertical.
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:39 pm
dgauden wrote:Hi Darrel

I am currently on V20 B53. not installing V21 yet as i don't want to use it just yet if there is too many bugs? do you think it's ok to download?

Ok that would be great thanks, i will upload the file onto dropbox for you to pick apart Very Happy 

Thanks
Danny

Hi Danny

Had a quick look at your drawing and quite aa few things to discuss...

1. None of your textures come with the drawing (which is normal to a degree if you have used your own) and I have used the Unity Charcoal for the main colour. What is a real pain when we customise units so that they hold there own materials as I have to go round every unit to get them to the default colours using in the main material selector/editing. It is best avoiding individually changing as it becomes harder to globally change the materials. None of your skp models and some other oddities happening but should open up on you machine okay.
2. Lighting. All the ceiling spotlights are way to bright so the interior lighting is brighter than the light coming in from the windows. Lighting has to be balanced otherwise fine reflections and the natural look of light coming in is wrong... notice the slight glow on the ceiling on the small window near the oven housings...
3. Adding views to the windows has two benefits, one it is not just a white reflection cast but also adds to more realism especially when using them with a lit appearance.
4. Turn on the sun and lower the sky ray brightness because I have added lit appearance to the windows. Adding the sun creates a more natural glow inside.
5. Colour your lit appearance in your lighting... I have changed all the ceiling spot lights to Cool White and also the UP lights...No light is pure white and having different colours of lights look more natural.
6. Avoid Pure White Materials 255RGB... I have changed most of the white like the wall and ceiling to 245R, 244G 243B as this is close to what a White Emulsion would be from some manufacturers. If we have large areas of pure white then how can we get anything brighter... all it does it lower all the other colours and can lead to longer render times as light does not get absorbed and just keep bouncing around.
7. Using proper roughness reflections for matt materials.... increasing the glossiness (making it more rough) blurs the highlights thus a more natural matt material.
8. All the above have been edited using my lit appearance and Sheen Level Calculator.
9. The camera angle you have used is not to my liking... I generally have only a -1 tilt down so the perspective looks more natural and more like a brochure shot. It is a good idea like I show here to have a brochure image with similar colours to the ones you are using to gauge brightness and look you are after..

This render is just using the standard medium render with 4x AA setting for speed.
Render Advice Artica21

Render Advice Artica22

Last edited by Darrel on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mingerz
Mingerz

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:24 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Nice renders and welcome to the forum. Great tips from Daz....I didn't realise that changing the white RGB settings could also lower render times!
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 am
Mingerz wrote:Nice renders and welcome to the forum. Great tips from Daz....I didn't realise that changing the white RGB settings could also lower render times!

Oh yes.... 255RGB is not physically possible for white materials and don't forget about blacks...

One of the darkest substances on earth is charcoal, the brightest is fresh snow.
Diffuse colour of the above substances should be a little less than provided value which includes some specular reflections.

This does not mean that we don't have whites (255RGB) and blacks (0RGB) once rendered as we will as shadows and light make this happen.

So Charcoal would have a diffuse value of 10RGB...
dgauden
dgauden

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:43 am
Great stuff Darrel thanks for all of the advice I never even thought about doing, I will make the changes on the next revision and see what I can come up with. watch this space...

Much appreciated  Very Happy 

Thanks 
Danny
Jaynehiddleston
Jaynehiddleston
http://www.hiddlestonjoiners.co.uk

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 am
Daz -  read your feedback with interest. When you say "lower the Sky ray brightness" what toggle are you talking about exactly? Could you possible screenshot optimum settings for this?

Cheers!
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am
Jaynehiddleston wrote:Daz -  read your feedback with interest. When you say "lower the Sky ray brightness" what toggle are you talking about exactly? Could you possible screenshot optimum settings for this?

Cheers!

Hi Jayne

Sure.... I lowered it to 0.25 and added a bit of Joe's Scottish Sun...

The updated Danny's file is in the KFF CAD Dropbox = "ArtiCAD Related/Kitchen Drawings and files/Danny - ArtiCAD Model/Danny - Articad Model Daz Edit.kit" if you want to look at all the other lit appearance and material settings etc.

Render Advice Artica25
Jaynehiddleston
Jaynehiddleston
http://www.hiddlestonjoiners.co.uk

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am
Thank you muchly!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum