KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
shauncasey86
shauncasey86

My first render, go easy :) Empty My first render, go easy :)

Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
After 2 years of using version 14 of ArtiCAD, I finally managed to persuaded my boss to upgrade to the latest version. It was installed yesterday and I completed my first plan and visuals this morning. I'd been reading the forum for the last few weeks in anticipation of getting the software so tried to remember all the helpful tips I'd come across.

Anyway - the completed visuals are below, done using the High/8X setting but they are still a bit grainy so any advice on how to reduce that would be great. Darrel, I've seen something about your DazHighest setting, could I get hold of that please?

My first render, go easy :) WilsonClose1

My first render, go easy :) WilsonClose2

My first render, go easy :) WilsonClose3

Darrel likes this post

Jaynehiddleston
Jaynehiddleston
http://www.hiddlestonjoiners.co.uk

My first render, go easy :) Empty Re: My first render, go easy :)

Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:58 am
This is superb!!! The higher render setting should help with the grainy-ness but honestly its more than good enough without it. Daz can advise you on how you get the highest render settings as I cant for the life of me remember how you get them. 

Your copper texture is perfection. Is this the standard articad one or did you use your own/tweak it?

What does your boss think? Must be a big difference visually between this and V14?

Darrel and shauncasey86 like this post

shauncasey86
shauncasey86

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:19 am
Jaynehiddleston wrote:This is superb!!! The higher render setting should help with the grainy-ness but honestly its more than good enough without it. Daz can advise you on how you get the highest render settings as I cant for the life of me remember how you get them.

Your copper texture is perfection. Is this the standard articad one or did you use your own/tweak it?

What does your boss think? Must be a big difference visually between this and V14?

Thanks Jayne, I'm a huge fan of your work - It was your's and Daz's images that helped me convince my boss to upgrade Smile

I've managed to find the DazHighest settings on KFF. The copper material are the ones Daz posted on here (https://kbbcadguru.forumotion.com/t32-metals-brass-bronze-and-copper-collection) so all credit to him for that.

V14 visuals are the more or less the same as the VR on V21 so it's a huge increase in quality and realism. V14 was about 10 years old as well so a lot of the ranges was out of date (no J-pull or gola etc). Gonna take a bit of time to adjust my workflow from the old version but looking forward to seeing what I can do with the new version.

Last edited by shauncasey86 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Darrel likes this post

Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:09 pm
They look really great Shaun,

Those copper highlights really look the business.

Hopefully the highest settings will clean up the noise for you as the internal door really shows it. The light leak around the ceiling extractor should hopefully also clean up unless this is the default light that is placed inside it/slightly to high (that would also cause this problem). Oh just noticed the shadows on the island barstools below it... standard lights?

How have you lit the room?... just skylight from a large window/patio doors?

As Jayne said, your customers should be more than happy with it. Just that we want perfection eh ;-)

shauncasey86 likes this post

Mingerz
Mingerz

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 pm
Fantastic job! The Daz render settings will help you banish the mottled effect, which are especially bad when the light source through a window is behind the camera. I  would also recommend the Daz sheen calc tool for automating material settings. It really does make a significant improvement to a render if all materials in the room have accurate reflection settings.....Keep up the good work and post your renders.

Darrel and shauncasey86 like this post

shauncasey86
shauncasey86

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:23 pm
Darrel wrote:They look really great Shaun,

Those copper highlights really look the business.

Hopefully the highest settings will clean up the noise for you as the internal door really shows it. The light leak around the ceiling extractor should hopefully also clean up unless this is the default light that is placed inside it/slightly to high (that would also cause this problem). Oh just noticed the shadows on the island barstools below it... standard lights?

How have you lit the room?... just skylight from a large window/patio doors?

As Jayne said, your customers should be more than happy with it. Just that we want perfection eh ;-)

To be honest Darrel, I've not had any of the training yet so struggling with lighting - Yeah its lit from patio doors behind the camera. On the extractor I've just set the material on the lights to lit appearance/emit light. Is there a better way to do it? There is a room light that sits inside the ceiling dropdown but I've set to 0% intensity.

Last edited by shauncasey86 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
shauncasey86
shauncasey86

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:24 pm
Mingerz wrote:Fantastic job! The Daz render settings will help you banish the mottled effect, which are especially bad when the light source through a window is behind the camera. I  would also recommend the Daz sheen calc tool for automating material settings. It really does make a significant improvement to a render if all materials in the room have accurate reflection settings.....Keep up the good work and post your renders.

Thanks mate, I've got the sheen calc tool but I'm struggling to translate that over to the V21 material editor. Am I right in thinking that's been updated since the sheen calc tool was released? Any info/advice on that would be great.
Mingerz
Mingerz

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:35 pm
shauncasey86 wrote:
Mingerz wrote:Fantastic job! The Daz render settings will help you banish the mottled effect, which are especially bad when the light source through a window is behind the camera. I  would also recommend the Daz sheen calc tool for automating material settings. It really does make a significant improvement to a render if all materials in the room have accurate reflection settings.....Keep up the good work and post your renders.

Thanks mate, I've got the sheen calc tool but I'm struggling to translate that over to the V21 material editor. Am I right in thinking that's been updated since the sheen calc tool was released? Any info/advice on that would be great.

I'm not sure, I'm on V20. You may have to enter them manually and save them as defaults.

Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:36 pm
shauncasey86 wrote:

To be honest Darrel, I've not had any of the training yet so struggling with lighting - I've just set the material on the extractor lights to lit appearance/emit light. Is there a better way to do it? There is a light that sits inside the ceiling dropdown but I've set to 0% intensity.

That is the way to do it. Depending on the extractor model geometry it could be emitting light upwards also ;-) The Highest settings should reduce what are called "Light Leaks" which are Global Illumination errors so the GI is less accurate around light sources and geometry edges etc. The highest sets the light sampling very high and has a lower error value to help out with these annoying artefacts.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum