KBB CAD Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Stejoke
Stejoke

First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Empty First use of lit appearance lighting calculator

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:53 pm
Hi all

Just used Daz's calculator for the first time - thanks Daz!

Images below (I've only altered the material settings for the wall and the view)

First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Copy_210
First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Copy_110

I have two questions please:

1) How do I know what reference diffuse to set at the top of the calculator - I know from what I've read that it depends..., but I'm not sure how to figure it out

2) What is it I need to change to make the edges of the windows / doors / frames to be less like they are!!!

Thank you 

Steve
Darrel
Darrel
Admin
https://www.facebook.com/darreldurosedesign

First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Empty Re: First use of lit appearance lighting calculator

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 pm
Hi Steve...

Love the Red Walls !

Looks good...

Re: 1) The default should be okay to start with... the fact in using an image for the light source affects they calculation hence the user adjustment. RedSDK Tone Mapping does not really care how bright the lighting is just the balance of what is coming in with the interior lighting. I tend to look at the lighting setup without Tone Mapping on to see if the openings lighting is reaching far enough into the room and the interior light, if any, is balancing correctly.

Re: 2) I think you need to lower the Sky light brightness as this is probably creating the whiteout around the framing as it's brighter than the lit appearance it is battling with. You could also increase the Diffuse Reference Value for the lit appearance t something like 10 and see if that gets rid of the "effect"

Stejoke
Stejoke

First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Empty Re: First use of lit appearance lighting calculator

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm
Thanks Daz

I've increased the diffuse reference value to 10. Image of how it looks:First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Screen10

I then tried to reduce the sky brightness using these:

I wasn't sure which one was brightness, but reducing them all seemed to have no effect. 
 First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Screen11
First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Screen12

These are the settings on my window frame.

What do you think I'm not doing right?

Thank you 

Steve
Mingerz
Mingerz

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:27 pm
Reduce the sun scale.
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Stejoke wrote:Thanks Daz

I've increased the diffuse reference value to 10. Image of how it looks:

I then tried to reduce the sky brightness using these:

I wasn't sure which one was brightness, but reducing them all seemed to have no effect. 

These are the settings on my window frame.

What do you think I'm not doing right?

Thank you 

Steve

Are you sure you have set the View1, 2, 3 etc to lit appearance as they look more like constant....

The Sky Ray brightness is the Sun/Sky Scale slider.... drag it down to the left so it's zero or close to zero.... then untick the sun to turn that off to to test. Zero any point or spot lights also.

You will know if the lit appearance is correct...

First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Artica26
Stejoke
Stejoke

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 pm
Yes! Hadn't set it to lit appearance! Have now re-done and reduced the sun scale. Much better! Thank you both
First use of lit appearance lighting calculator Screen13
Darrel
Darrel
Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 pm
Great... just need better materials now to get you to the next level ;-)
Stejoke
Stejoke

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 pm
Cheers Daz!
Mingerz
Mingerz

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:30 pm
Maybe change the external view to "world view" so that your brickwork scales.
Mingerz
Mingerz

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:32 pm
Darrel wrote:Great... just need better materials now to get you to the next level ;-)

Sheen calc for the win!!!!
Stejoke
Stejoke

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:53 am
Cheers Mingerz!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum